Jordan Pond, Acadia NP Maine

Jordan Pond, Acadia NP Maine
Jordan Pond, Acadia NP Maine

Monday, August 2, 2010

North Cape Coastal Drive, P.E.I.




Today we drove the North Cape Coastal Drive of P.E.I. and enjoyed the it very much.

P.E.I. has over 800 km of sandy shoreline that is filled with red cliffs and pink beaches. But why does P.E.I. have red sand instead of the usual white or brown? Prince Edward Island was formed a long time ago on sedimentary bedrock of soft, red sandstone, which produces rich, red soil. The soil is red because it has a lot of rust in it.

At the northern most tip of P.E.I. is the North Cape Wind Farm which has windmills generating an expected 16.6 million kilowatt-hours per year of electrical power.

Tomorrow we will be driving to Cavendish, P.E.I.









No comments:

Post a Comment